Youth Suicide Prevention
If you or someone you know is affected by suicide, please call for help. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24/7 at 1-800-273-8255.
Many people experience emotional desolation or suicidal thoughts. According to the CDC, “a nationwide survey of youth in grades 9-12 in public and private schools in the United States (U.S.) found that 16% of students reported seriously considering suicide, 13% reported creating a plan, and 8% reporting trying to take their own life in the 12 months preceding the survey.”
If you or someone you know is thinking about suicide, reach out and talk to a safe adult about what’s going on.
- KVC Behavioral Healthcare - Provides case management, therapy, family education and support, transportation and aftercare services
- Marillac - A psychiatric treatment facility in Overland Park, Kansas providing treatment specifically for children and adolescents who are experiencing mental health, emotional, behavioral, substance abuse issues and/or a developmental disorder. Marillac provides care 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
Resources for Teachers and School Mental Health Providers:
- Suicide in Schools: A Practitioner's Guide to Multi-level Prevention, Assessment, Intervention, and Postvention (the premier, comprehensive, practical tool for school mental health professionals and administration)
- Model School District Policy on Suicide Prevention
- The Role of High School Mental Heath Providers in Preventing Suicide
- The Role of High School Teachers in Preventing Suicide
- Resources for Different Levels of Education - Includes: Warning signs, screening tools, and treatment referral information
- Preventing Suicide: A Toolkit for High Schools
- After a Suicide: A Toolkit for Schools
- Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System
- Kansas Communities That Care Survey
- Various articles from the Journal of Adolescent Health
- Bullying and Suicide: What's the Connection?
- Webinar from the Injury Control Research Center for Suicide Prevention: Suicide & Bullying: Preventing Suicide through Collaborative Upstream Interventions
- For more information about bullying prevention month and additional resources, please visit The National Bullying Prevention Center and Teens Against Bullying.